Part Time or Full Time
Job Location: Petoskey, MI
Paid Internship: $10/hr
Starting as soon as May 7
We are offering summer internships for Graphic Designers and Web Developers.
Spend your summer designing up north and learning what it takes to be a full time designer at a digital firm. This may be the only design internship located on a park, above a deli and fudge shop, and three blocks from Lake Michigan. You'll work closely with the managing partner of a small web design and strategy company. You'll spend time working with the team to brainstorm and design marketing concepts for healthcare, higher education and consumer markets. Your focus will be heavily geared towards digital interfaces but our clients also require print collateral in the form of posters, post cards and brochures. You are encouraged to push it. Be creative. Surprise our clients. Prove yourself.
What to Expect
- Direction and oversight from the managing partner
- You will meet with clients at our office and at theirs
- Help the organization evolve by providing insights and strategies around emerging design trends
- Work with the team to brainstorm and design marketing concepts and executions
- Communicate and present design concepts for internal and client marketing campaigns
- Design website layouts
- Design infographics
- Design content to be shared on social media
- Design print layouts for posters, post cards and stationary
- Edit photography
- Add copy, graphics and video to webpages using our Sungem content management system
- Work with a team of designers, developers, and system administrators to successfully launch websites.
- Share design concepts
- Attend client meetings and provide input on how to reach a younger audience
- Stay up to date on current and future design trends
- University level Graphic Design coursework, or comparable workplace experience
- Professional experience, preferred
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Comfortable on Mac computers
- Passion for graphic design and typography is essential
- You should have a portfolio which demonstrates your passion for graphic design and your ability to think conceptually. Your work should show intellectual depth, a high level of creativity, a skilled design technique, and an eagerness to delve into a variety of types of design.
- An interest in and an understanding of websites, social media and YouTube
- Superior communication skills and able to think strategically and speak not just as a designer, but as a member of a team, a brand, and a business
- The ability to put your creative concepts into a cohesive and organized documentation of ideas for review with other teams is essential
- Your ability to be a respectful and conscientious team player and to work together on shared goals is of utmost importance
- Your ability to gracefully let go of a favorite design idea in order to serve the need of the project and the brand is crucial
- Sungem is a small business with one partner in Petoskey and the other in Chicago
- Have been building websites since 1997 (helloooo Netscape!), with over 30 years of collective design and development experience.
- Designed and developed a custom CMS that hosts over 100 websites and handles more than 750,000 pageviews per month.
- Want to hire amazing people so we're thorough.
How To Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
- Explain why you want to spend your summer designing in northern Michigan
- Links or a portfolio of your work
- Links to examples of websites you found online that look incredible
- Education history, work history and three references.
- Digital Strategy
- Web Development
- Real People